In the 1944 MGM film, Meet me in St. Louis, a young girl makes the statement, “Wasn’t I lucky to be born in my favorite city?” That encompasses the way I feel about being a resident of Pickaway County. It is home to some great people, businesses, and lovely sights.
Being an employee of Pickaway County Visitors Bureau, I have the opportunity each day to speak with visitors about all of the awesome things there are to do in Pickaway County. Here are my personal top 5 summer must-do activities for Pickaway County:
1. Take a hike! For a paved trail, I suggest the Roundtown Trail or Mary Virginia Crites Hannan Park in Circleville. For scenic views, I recommend A.W. Marion State Park (Hargus Lake). To learn more about all of our county parks, visit www.pickawaycountyparks.org
2. Arrange a staycation. An overnight trip out to Deer Creek State Park Lodge is refreshing and lovely. They also offer kayak and boat rentals.
3. Dine outside. While many restaurants in the county offer patio dining onsite, don’t forget we have parks with picnic tables. Why not get some carryout and eat it at Pumpkin Show park or Williamsport Square?
4. Cool off with a sweet treat. Crosstown Creamery in Tarlton and Circleville Dairy Shed are my two favorite places to stop.
5. Take a scenic drive with the windows down. Pickaway.com has a couple of different driving tours, or you can create your own. From historical homes and buildings, to beautiful farmland, it is nice to get out and see what is in our own back yard.
Be sure and stop at The Welcome Center, 325 W. Main St. in Circleville for area maps and info. We also carry several locally made items, including honey. Our staff cannot wait to help you find your next adventure in Pickaway County!